Warning: Cynical Patch Post Below…
Patch 3.2 drops today! Hooray! Like many other bloggers out there, I have big plans for what I want to do when I get on, including:
- Testing new druid forms
- Buying speedy mounts for my alts who have held off on purchasing until it was cheaper (as well as Cold-Weather Flying for my level 70 priest)
- Trying out the new 5-man instance
- Collecting fancy new emblems
- Etc, etc.
What the cynic in me suspects that I will actually be doing (based on previous major patch download experiences):
- Downloading the patch (10 minutes – a friend downloaded this morning and assured me it was quick)
- Logging on* (20-40 minutes…presumably there will be a queue of people who are desperate to log in post-patch)
- Standing in Dalaran without moving due to massive lag spike (10 minutes)
- Disconnecting and then reconnecting due to massive lag spike (15 minutes)
- Rearranging messed up UI (15 minutes)
- Attempting to do Dalaran-based cooking daily while switching various forms to admire new feral artwork (25 minutes – allowing time for multiple freezes/disconnects)
- Finally getting smart enough to leave Dalaran and freezing in mid-bird-transformation (2 minutes)
- Getting invited by friends into a 5-man Northrend instance (any Northrend instance!) and summoned to said instance (2 minutes)
- Attempting to enter instance even though all instance servers are full (10 minutes)
- Finally getting into instance, instantly freezing in place, and finally disconnecting due to rolling restarts and calling it a night (30 minutes)
Total anticipated time online post-patch: 2-2 3/4 hours
Total anticipated “play-time” (including trying to move through molasses-like lag, etc) in front of computer post-patch: 1 hour
Total anticipated time left to wander away from my computer and pack for upcoming trip as well as clean house: 1-1 3/4 hours
Which all works out for the best, since I really should spend this evening packing and preparing for travel. (Wish I had swift flight form in real life…sigh.)
At least tomorrow I get a half-day due to above-mentioned upcoming trip so I can putter around a bit in the afternoon. Hopefully major issues will be worked out by then.
Even more hopefully – my past experiences will turn out to be just that…”past”…and I’ll be playing tonight the same way I did last night, except new and improved!
*Updated per Beru’s helpful suggestion: It should be assumed that any successful “logging on” attempts will be taking place around 9pm EST due to unforeseen extended maintenance.